Get The Tax Credit

Adding adequate insulation is one of the most cost-effective home improvements that you can do. You can get a tax credit worth 10% of the cost (not including installation/labor costs), up to $500. To qualify, the insulation must be installed in your “principal residence” between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013.


Typical bulk insulation products can qualify, such as batts, rolls, blow-in fibers, rigid boards, expanding spray, and pour-in-place.

Products that air seal (reduce air leaks) can also qualify, as long as they come with a Manufacturers Certification Statement ( click here to download ), including:

  • Weather stripping
  • Spray foam in a can, designed to air seal
  • Caulk designed to air seal
  • House wrap

Where can I get more information on the tax credit?   You can learn more about the Tax Credit at the Energy Star website.