Spray foam creates a thermal barrier
Spray foam is a very effective way to provide solid energy efficiency to your home. It completely encloses the structure, providing a solid, unbroken barrier against outdoor temperature extremes.
This barrier shields the inside of your home from the worst of the heat and cold, which in turn means your heating and cooling needs are greatly reduces – resulting in an energy savings and greater year-round comfort to you. The solid seal isolates the interior temperature from the outside fluctuations.
There are two types of foam: open cell and closed cell, and which one you utilize depends on your particular application. The two foams have a difference in cost, application methods, and performance.
Open cell foam cells are not completely closed. They are open to the air, which fills the available space within the cell. They are broken and air fills all of the “open” space inside the material. Closed-cell foam does not have any open space, so it is denser.
Advantages of spray foam are:
- Energy bills savings
- Foam insulation expands to fill every opening that can potentially leak air, resulting in a more energy-efficient living environment; in fact, CertaSpray foam meets the requirements for an ENERGY STAR® Home.
- Overall cleaner air
- Spray foam reduces the penetration of moisture, outdoor allergens and pollutants that can affect the comfort of your family.
- Reduction in unwanted noises
- Spray foam helps diminish the sounds from outside (wind and traffic) and inside (plumbing and playrooms) your home.
- Increased resale value of your home
- Home inspections and lower energy bills will confirm spray foam’s superior thermal efficiency.
- Increased comfort and peace of mind.
- Spray foam takes care of the drafts or hot/cold spots that can negatively affect your daily life.
Specific advantages of closed cell spray foam:
- A high R-Value minimizes hot and cold spots in a home to improve efficiency and comfort.
- Rigidity provides added structural integrity to walls.
- As a secondary moisture vapor barrier, it helps reduce the risk of moisture intrusion in the wall cavity.